The Maine Emergency Management Agency offers the following recommendations to be prepared for our winter weather, which can at times be rather brutal.
The following information can be found on MEMA’s website, here:
Please, stay safe!
Emergency Supplies – Grab & Go Bag
Plan for 3 to 7 days of supplies at home. If evacuating with your Grab-N-Go bag to a place with food and water, 1-2 days of supply for those items may be enough.
- Water—1 gallon per person per day
- Non-perishable food and can opener
- Radio—battery powered or hand-cranked
- First aid kit and manual
- Warm blankets or sleeping bag
- Weather appropriate change of clothing, footwear and gloves
- Sanitation items—garbage bags, ties, hand sanitizer, toilet paper
- Personal hygiene items
- Medications (7 days) and eye glasses
- Cell phone and charger, coins or prepaid phone card
- Emergency contact information
- Cash or Traveler’s Checks
- Local maps
- Wrench or pliers for utility shutoff*
- Extra batteries for all devices
- Baby needs—formula, diapers, towelettes, etc.
- Medical/adaptive needs—hearing aids, wheelchair, oxygen tank, etc.
- Pet needs—food, water, leash, crate, records, etc.
- NOAA weather radio
- Fire extinguisher*
- Dust mask, plastic sheeting, duct tape, and scissors*
- Household chlorine bleach*
- Important documents—copy of photo ID, account/insurance policy numbers, proof of residence
- Matches in waterproof container
- Paper cups, plates and utensils
- Paper and pencil
- Children’s books and games
*Items not needed in the Grab-N-Go bag.