From the Maine Department of Health & Human Services
January 15, 2020
Free Training for Behavioral Health Providers
The MaineHealth Center for Tobacco Independence (CTI,) on behalf of the Maine Center for Disease Control and Prevention/Tobacco and Substance Use Prevention and Control, wants to support you, your staff and your organization as you work with individuals experiencing co-occurring behavioral health and nicotine addiction or substance use disorders. Research shows that the behavioral health population smokes at rates two to three times higher than the general population, and that smoking is a leading cause of premature, preventable death among this population. Research also shows that providing tobacco treatment in the behavioral health setting is critically important for improving the health outcomes of this population.
On February 4 MaineHealth Center for Tobacco Independence is offering a FREE, in-person, half day continuing education opportunity for Behavioral Health Professionals to better understand:
- How to enhance existing skills to utilize low barrier strategies that support patients in reducing their use or quitting use of various products.
- The health burden of tobacco and nicotine on individuals with behavioral health conditions.
- Real and perceived barriers to providing treatment in mental health and substance use settings.
- Future free services targeted to this population through the Maine Tobacco HelpLine.
This training is a free continuing education opportunity.
Below please find the registration link with additional details:
*Please use the code CTITRAINING (all caps) to redeem the free registration.
This targeted Behavioral Health training will only be offered once in 2020, so we recommend registering soon! Please feel free to promote this offering within your organization and among community members.
We look forward to seeing you in February.
Kara Gordon | Director of Treatment | Center for Tobacco Independence
MaineHealth | Center for Health Improvement | 110 Free Street | Portland ME 04101
(207) 662-5626 | email@example.com